“It’s been a terrible year!”
“It’s been a great year!”
I’ve heard both from friends and colleagues as I’ve asked them about this past year.
But the coaching question I have for you is this: What are you going to do to make the year ahead a great one?
Here are some questions I’m asking myself (as well as asking coaching clients):
1. Where am I most dissatisfied? I had a splinter in my left thumb the other day and couldn’t get it out. I’m amazed at how such a little sliver can cause so much pain and distraction! Yet life is filled with splinters! What are the things that are causing the most pain and distraction that you need to focus on removing in the year ahead? At work? Home? Personally?
For me, I’ve let the workspace in my office get too scattered–I’m wasting too much time looking for things. I’ve also let busy-ness be an excuse for not exercising as much this last year. These are two examples of splinters I’m going after in the year ahead.
Let’s make this the year you and I stop putting up with the distractions we’ve allowed for too long!
2. Which relationships do I need to invest in more? Less? Much of our success in life and at work is significantly dependent on the strength of the relationships we surround ourselves with. It’s a key message in our new e-learning offering entitled The Dirty Little Secret of Business. This is a good time of year to evaluate how we’re spending our time and with whom.
3. How can I invest in myself? Developing your knowledge and skills is not your boss’ job–it’s yours. And it doesn’t have to cost a lot.
Our Free Project Management Videos website offers practical insights to help you deliver (and it doesn’t cost a dime!) If you’re not regularly listening to podcasts such as my People and Projects Podcast, you’re missing out on free, insightful learning that you can glean from while you travel or commute (or whenever you can listen to an mp3 player). It could be you have been putting off a career goal, such as PMP certification.
Where do you need to invest in yourself?
In the year ahead my development focus includes virtual learning technologies. I’ll be deploying our first project management distance learning offerings. We’ll also be starting a new leadership development initiative that includes assessments, webinars, and executive coaching to help you accelerate your ability to lead and deliver. Finally, we’ll be publishing a site to help people prepare for passing the PMP exam. Stay tuned for more on these initiatives!
How about you? Get intentional about your development for next year. Not only can it help you from a career standpoint, but it also can re-engage you, helping you get more satisfaction and fulfillment in your daily work.
Here are two ways to invest in yourself while saving money:
- Between now and the end of the year, you can save three months off the cost of an Annual Premium Subscription to the People and Projects Podcast. Click here for details and the coupon code.
- If you become a Premium Subscriber before the end of the year, you get a free license of The Dirty Little Secret of Business e-learning offering. That alone more than covers the cost of your Premium Subscription.
I challenge you to make the year ahead one that you truly invest in your personal development. And it would be a pleasure for me to help you do that.
I wish you and those you love a very Merry Christmas, and a great start to the New Year!
Leave a Reply